Senior Automation Engineer
Atlanta, GA 30350
Senior Automation Engineer (JBehave Cucumber)
Currently creating innovative technology solutions, we are seeking an experienced Senior Automation Engineer, with expertise in the creation of the testing strategy and testing plan utilizing automation testing techniques (BDD) and tools (JBehave, Cucumber, Java).
The successful candidate must have past experience in tools and methodologies to develop the requirements, procedures and guidelines for the testing of all technical systems. Prior to deployment the QA Lead must ensure the applications and are performing according to specifications and free of errors. This includes working with Automation Architects, development and other test engineers towards the goal of 100% automation of regression. Defining the test plan and strategy, testing environment, scenarios, scripts and data required, executing tests, and reporting on findings. Participating in sprint planning to identify testing scope and testing estimates for self and the team
- Leader of automation testing efforts across multiple interrelated projects/ systems/ applications and/or for a business unit. Serves as a technical resource to other IT QA/test professionals, mentoring less-experienced staff with responsibility for their technical development.
- Seasoned Automation QA professional responsible for the development and support of automation applications.
- Responsible for applying expertise in tools and methodologies to develop the requirements, procedures and guidelines for the automation testing efforts of all technical applications and systems prior to deployment to ensure they are performing according to specifications and free of errors.
- This includes defining the automation test plan and strategy, testing environment, scenarios, creating/modifying scripts and data required, executing tests, and reporting on findings.
- Positions in this function are also responsible for organizing the resources necessary to prepare and execute tests and reporting back to the development team on issues to be addressed as required.
- This may include automation of testing processes, and the identification and management of testing tools and standards.
- Work with development to ensure their code and the test automation code will interact efficiently together.
- Responsible and accountable for one or more of the major components of the test automation framework. This will include the design, development, delivery, maintenance and evolution of these components. Examples might include mocking of web services, development of a standardized development environment, and development of non-functional test capabilities such as performance and security within our Continuous Integration (CI) pipeline.
- Conducts QA reviews and inspections to find potential defects and recommend corrective action, often assisting more junior staff identify defects in more challenging situations.
- Leads test reviews (e.g. test case review) and signoff on test cases.
- Development & maintenance of test scripts meeting required requirements.
- Review broken scripts for suites and resolve/fix them.
- Identifies vulnerabilities in automated testing and defines and manages plans to mitigate risk.
- Deliver project assignments on time, within budget and with high quality.
- Participate in the automation feasibility analysis for new systems/applications.
- Work with the CI team to integrate the automated framework and testing into our daily development
- Recommends process improvements to management to provide operational efficiencies.
- Proposes the acquisition of new testing tools to management.
- Estimates project testing budget and resources needs.
- Proposes and develops automation framework standard test methods and monitors standards, for review by management.
- Participate in the full SDLC (Agile), including meetings, iterative development, estimations and design sessions.
- Ensure coordination between and across inter-related projects.
- Write effective and thorough bug reports and verify bug fixes.
- Provides Timely and accurate status for the assigned tasks.
- Work with QA organization to mentor and train them in test automation and BDD
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to junior engineers on the team who might be assigned to the same framework tasks.
- Creates the automation test plan for a project, conceiving of the testing strategy and approach. Contributes to the initial project design phase of a project(s), providing input on automation test plans, estimates, and test strategies for a project(s), working closely with clients and colleagues.
- Manages the creation of all project level automation test plans, detailed test plan, or phase level plans such as component, system, integration or user acceptance test plan. Drives the testing phase, ensuring QA/test staff executes effectively and adheres to all Q4M processes and standards.
- Serves as a coach and mentor to more junior automation engineers. Delegates tasks as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned.
- Recommends automation process improvements to management to provide operational efficiencies.
Commits to deliverables for scope of work with customers and/or management. Makes modifications to automation jobs and schedules for jobs in non prod environments.
- Strong understanding and experience in automation testing using Behavior Driven Development (BDD) techniques and tools (like JBehave).
- Strong experience in automating services and APIs (Eg., REST services)
- Good technical and programming skills, ability to understand application responsibilities, design goals and application flow with respect to automation.
- Basic understanding of SQL queries and Shell Scripting
Must have excellent communication skills (verbal and written), and be able to communicate interact effectively with all levels of management as well as a diverse technical team.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to significant amounts of change in work assignments and priorities.
- Extensive experience coordinating with offshore QA teams.
Seen as a key contributor to the overall project team, and a technical resource on automation testing.
Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Has developed a broad understanding of the environment, to apply an understanding of the interoperability of systems and technologies to the testing effort.
Has experience with structuring the automated testing tasks on multiple projects, estimating schedules, resources and dependencies
Understands the key business metrics related to the project and customer area, and ensures that senior management is provided the correct metrics
Understands and can identify the key business processes within the project. Understands and can discuss the interrelationship of businesses and technologies within the project.
Reviews and utilizes customer business and functional requirements in the development of test plans and scenarios.
Develops strategies for improving test processes, and recommends to management.
Develops sophisticated automation testing plans, demonstrating a high level of understanding of what activities are necessary at each phase of testing.
- 3 + years hands on experience with test automation using BDD techniques (JBehave, Cucumber etc)
- 3+ years of services/API automation experience with BDD
- 5+ years of automation scripting experience
- 3+ years of coding experience with one or more of the following languages Java/C# or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience with continuous integration and build tools (i.e. jUnit, Maven, Jenkins or equivalent) with respect to integrating automation to CI/CD
- 3+ years of experience with SQL Queries
- 3+ years of experience with building or maintaining an automated test framework is required.
- 3+ years of experience using an industry standard source control management system
- 3+ years of experience using Agile software development life cycle
- 3+ years of experience with BDD
- Exposure to Continuous Deployment
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent 8+ years of related or similar experience
The nation' s largest operator of department stores with over 800 department store locations in 46 states, operating major catalog and internet operations for multiple companies. Headquartered in Johns Creek, a suburban setting northeast of Atlanta, Georgia.
We offer competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, employee fitness center and a merchandise discount.
Equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment