Solutions Architect - Infrastructure
1500 Riveredge Pkwy Suite 100 Atlanta, GA 30328 | Direct Hire
The solutions architect is accountable for proactively and holistically leading or supporting Enterprise Architecture activities for creating deliverables that guide the developing direction for managing a portfolio of solutions in response to disruptive forces and driving achieving targeted business outcomes. Solutions include systems (including applications, technologies, processes and information), shared infrastructure services and shared application services.
Solutions architects provide the necessary leadership, analysis and design tasks related to the development of an enterprise's solutions architecture. This individual creates deliverables that help develop a direction for managing the organization's portfolio of "to be" and "as is" solutions — including systems (meaning not just applications, but also processes and information), shared infrastructure services, and shared application services and components to better match targeted business outcome objectives. Solutions architecture is sometimes used interchangeably with applications and infrastructure architecture. However, both of the aforementioned typically fall under the purview of the solutions architect.
Application architecture is a subset of solutions architecture. It's the discipline that guides application design and defines application architecture paradigms, such as service-oriented architecture (SOA), principles that influence design decisions and patterns that provide proven design solutions.
Solutions architects leverage and use technology solutions to enable the organization's future-state business capabilities that, in turn, drive the organization's targeted outcomes. They facilitate and orchestrate the delivery of targeted business outcomes.
Scope of Activities
- Understand business drivers and business capabilities (future and current state) and determine corresponding enterprise system designs and change requirements to drive the organization's targeted business outcomes.
- Design and lead the implementation of a solutions architecture across a group of specific business applications or technologies based on enterprise business strategy, business capabilities and business requirements.
- Manage and develop the architecture for a broader scope of projects, working closely with application architects that manage and design architecture for a single project or initiative.
- Provide consulting support to application architects within projects to ensure the project is aligned with the overall enterprise architecture.
- Monitor the current-state solution portfolio to identify deficiencies through aging of the technologies used by the application, or misalignment with business requirements.
- Understand technology trends and the practical application of existing, new, and emerging technologies to enable new and evolving business and operating models.
- Understand, advocate and augment the principles of information technology strategies.
- Analyze the business-IT environment (run, grow and transform the business) to detect critical deficiencies, and recommend solutions for improvement (systems of record, differentiation and innovation).
- Analyze the technology industry, competitors and market trends, and determine their potential impact on the enterprise.
- Define the principles, guidelines, standards and solution patterns to ensure solution decisions are aligned with the enterprise's future-state architecture vision.
- Design and direct the governance activities associated with ensuring solutions architecture assurance and compliance.
- Develop a roadmap for the evolution of the enterprise application portfolio from future to current state (as defined by the solutions architecture).
- Facilitate the evaluation and selection of software product standards and services, as well as the design of standard and custom software configurations.
- Consult with application and infrastructure development projects to fit systems or infrastructure to architecture and identify when it is necessary to modify projects to accommodate the solutions architecture.
- Identify the organizational impact (for example, on skills, processes, structures or culture) and financial impact of the solutions architecture.
- Document all solution architecture design and analysis work.
- Work closely with the program management office (PMO) or project management office to ensure the execution of plans corresponds with what is being promised.
Credentials and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, system analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years of experience in at least two IT solution development disciplines, including technical architecture, network management, application development, middleware, database management or operations
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Good understanding of strategic and new and emerging technology trends, and the practical application of existing, new and emerging technologies to new and evolving business and operating models
- Understanding of agile methods and processes, and capability of supporting agile project teams by providing advice and guidance on opportunities, impact and risks, taking account of technical and architectural debt
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including teamwork, facilitation and negotiation
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Knowledge of all components of an enterprise technical architecture
- Knowledge of financial models and budgeting
- Excellent understanding of application development methodologies and infrastructure and network architecture, including:
- Microsoft Infrastructure: Windows Server & OS, O-365, SharePoint, AD/Exchange, IIS, etc.
- CISCO Networking, SDN, Firewalls, Route/Switch
- Diversity in Linux
- Cloud experience is Priority – Private Cloud, Rackspace, Hosted Cloud environments
- VMware, vSphere Virtualization & innovation
- Cloud-Based PBX, Voice/UC and communications
- Security Standards
- Exposure to Infrastructure to Application Integrations, has been around development & application developers
- Agile Methodology experience (Integration role)
- Ability to work with developers in an in-and-out outsourced environment
- Organizationally savvy, with a good understanding of the enterprise's political climate and how to navigate, influence and persuade political waters
- Ability to communicate, influence and persuade peers
- Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations
- Ability to translate future-state business capabilities and requirements into solution architecture requirements
- Ability to propose and estimate the financial impact of solution architecture alternatives
- Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Proven ability to work well with others