Lead Database Engineer
4473 Tilly Mill Rd Atlanta, GA 30360 | Direct Hire
Manages a team of data professionals with skill-sets ranging from report writing to database development to database administration. Works with development, QA, and product management using Scrum methodologies to set the team' s direction and priorities. Creates a table-design vision and leads the team forwards towards this vision.
- Create conceptual and physical database models.
- Document and evangelize database standards and best practices.
- Maintain and performance-tune SQL Server Databases, jobs, and SSRS Reports
- Confirm database servers are backed up and meeting Recovery Point Objectives (RPO).
- Manage deployment and automated build-processes for release database changes.
- Identify and troubleshoot resource intensive or blocking operations on SQL Server.
- Collaborate with developers on architectural and software design.
- Review SQL scripts and make sure SQL coding standards used.
- Mentor and supervise members of the database team.
- Work with product management to groom user-stories.
Education / Experience
- A completed H.S degree is required.
- Bachelors of science in Computer Science or similar field preferred.
- Relevant work experience and\or certification can be substituted for formal education.
- 6 + years of related experience at a professional level.
- At least one year in a leadership role of some kind.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Expert skill in designing tables and stored procedures.
- Strong understanding of execution plans, indexes, and SQL tuning.
- SQL Server database administration.
- Ability to be on-call to deal with production issues and for deployments.
- Good communication and documentation skills.
- Team leadership skills.
- Ability to create, maintain, and tune multi-threaded SSIS jobs.
- Knowledge of database reporting, preferably using SSRS.
- Solid knowledge of the agile SCRUM process.
- Prior experience with accounting, auto industry, Supply Chain Management, or retail companies.
- Previous experience in a teaching or volunteering role in any field.
- Familiarity with troubleshooting application logic.
- Knowledge of LINQ or Entity Framework is a plus.
- Experience with automated database deployments is a plus.
- Experience using TeamCity or OctopusDeploy is a plus.
- Experience with JIRA, Rally, or some comparable tool.