Manager, Database Administration
plano, TX | Direct Hire
The Manager, Database Administration is responsible for the day-to-day governance and performance management of the DBA’s and system owned by the IT Operations team. This role will develop and implement the strategic direction; managing the personal and database systems by implementing policies and procedure for ensuring the security and integrity of the company’s databases. This position will develop a customer care and service management philosophy that ensures customer satisfaction. The ability to work and coordinate projects between internal departments and manage strategic planning is required.
- Responsible for strategic and tactical management for MS SQL and Oracle systems. Manages and coordinates the day-to-day planning, design and maintenance of servers and databases.
- Accountable for developing and driving annual and continuous improvement plans for DBAs.
- Investigates industry trends and implement new technologies to improve the level of service and technology provided to the business.
- Establishes standards and procedures for all Database systems owned by IT Operations.
- Define and ensure daily operational tasks needed for optimal database performance and stability are carried out by the DBAs.
- Seek ways to actively improve the stability, performance, monitoring, security, and backups of Database systems.
- Write and maintain database documentation, requirements and standards, communicating them to development teams and others as appropriate.
- Technology leadership skills to include coaching/mentoring/teaching, critical thinking/judgment, facilitation, leading change, and team development.
- Define Database “Gold Standard” for Heartlands platforms and environments.
- Participate in project planning and scoping, change management, and resource capacity planning.
- Work closely with all IT teams and business groups to manage customer satisfaction and direct investigation and remediation of service level breakdowns.
- Assist in the management of IT communication programs that effectively describe and promote the department, products and services delivered.
- Investigate industry trends and new technologies, providing guidance and recommendations to senior management to improve the level of service provided to the business thru cost reduction and process efficiency.
- Recruit, develop, retain and motivate a team operating at a high performance level.
- Manage SOX, PCI-DSS compliances and industry best practices relevant to the payment card industry
- Enforce personnel policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and coordinate issues as needed through the Human Resources department.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Technology or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- ITIL Foundation certified preferred.
- Strong understanding of managing and monitoring Database systems in a high volume, highly available OLTP environment.
- Strong technical skills in Microsoft SQL server 2012 always on, as well as the latest Microsoft clustering, replication, reporting and analysis technology.
- Good understanding of Oracle 11g, 12c and cluster environment, as well as replication, reporting and analysis technology.
- Strong understanding of Windows, Unix, and Linux operating systems.
- Understanding of RDBMS.
- Windows and Oracle best practice and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives from various business units.
- Ability to lead, influence and motivate team and partners.
- Effective presentation, documentation, interpersonal, and leadership skills with a team-oriented approach are necessary.
- Ability to think strategically and communicate effectively in a fast-moving, rapidly changing environment.
- Proven people management skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Management and leadership skills to attract, retain, and motivate high talent professionals.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience developing, implementing and managing DBA’s and database systems in a multi-datacenter environment.
- Experience managing High volume transaction processing (OLTP) environments, with 24/7 support and 99.999% uptime requirements.
- Experience managing Batch processing/Big Data environments.
- Experience managing remote employees.
- High level of experience with Database monitoring and performance tuning.
- Experience with deployment and system build automation.
- Experience working with geographically dispersed teams and customer base.
- Ability to motivate others to perform above normal expectations.
- Excellent customer service, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.